Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Self Analysis


At the outset of this blog project, I was certain that I would maintain my concrete beliefs about Obama and his economic policies all the way through. I felt strongly that Obama and his administration had made some poor decisions with the country’s money and had done little to help the economy, if not making matters worse. Now that I’m nearly finished researching, however, I’ve noticed just how narrow-minded I was. Although I still stand by some of my original ideologies, I feel now that my opinion has evolved away from its narrow mindedness and has become more “fair” – so to speak. I think its safe to claim that I was quite ignorant about the topic at the time in which I undertook it, maybe even a little biased; which is part of the reason that I wanted to research more about it. I just didn’t expect my opinion to change as much as it did. I thought the problem was cut-and-dry. I believed that there was an easy solution to the economy being fixed but man was I wrong. As I began to research more and more, I started to notice that the situation was much more complex than I had previously thought and began to think that Obama’s economic strategies weren’t as bad as they seemed. Actually, some of them helped and are still helping the economy today! I discovered that Obama’s plans had actually created an increase in the welfare of some economic markets. I discovered that consumer spending has been increasing for five straight months now – a sign that the economy is on the verge of pulling out of the recession. Findings such as these really made me contemplate my stance on the topic. I learned so much from my research about things that I never would have known unless I made this blog. I believe that’s the main portion of my growth as a thinker: How the advancement in the level of my knowledge through all of my research allowed me to step away from my one-sided mindset and step into an open and accepting one.  Although I still believe in small government, big business economic policy, I agree with some of Obama’s policies that I previously would’ve shrugged off and then laughed at. I have no doubt in my mind that this project will have an impact on the way I position myself towards economic policies for the rest of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment